Re: [INTERFACES] How can I work thru this key problem? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] How can I work thru this key problem?
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 20:50 +0300 on 26/07/1999, marc rassbach wrote:

> When I place, oh say the string "Whatsmyid" into exampletable, I'd like to
> be able to know the value of keyiwant is, without going back and doing a
> select keyiwant from exampletable where otherinfo = "Whatsmyid"
>
> Ideas on how I can get to where I want to go?

Yes, after the INSERT, do:

SELECT currval('thenextkey');

This gives you the latest value of the sequence which your current session
has produced. Yes, it is multiuser-safe - no other process will receive the
number you produced except you.

BTW, this shouldn't be in the interfaces list. It's an SQL question.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma